Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Gym Conversations

The other day I was at the gym and this guy who looked like he ought to be wearing a kilt and a beard and heaving cabers said do me, "You sure love your squats, don't you?  Every time I see you here, you're doing squats."

It made me smile, because in all truth, I am growing to love the squat.  The first time I did them I felt clumsy and intimidated and actually pestered a total stranger (who was apparently already teaching a couple of other people some lifts), if he could give me a hand.  That guy was kind enough to show me how to set up the squat cage and was there to spot me, so that helped a great deal, but afterward when I was on my own I felt clumsy and intimidated again.  Then I read the Cookie Monster's amazing post on squatting and things seemed to come together a little better.  Now, I'm still squatting weenie little weights, and still getting a little snagged at the beginning of the ascent for my last rep or two, but I'm enjoying it and eager to push harder and lift more.

I don't know what's next?  I've actually not yet tried a deadlift, or bench press, but I'm looking forward to it.  Do you have a favourite lift, or a lift you've started to love after you finally "got it"?

No comments:

Post a Comment