Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Buddha Belly

Awhile ago I had a routine physical.  This of course included a fasting blood draw and all the usual screening of said blood.  Poking through the results Dr. Rosemary raved about my excellent cholesterol levels, but said that my fasting blood glucose put me well into the "pre diabetic" range.  I can go into detail as to why this is odd, but without a full medical history, just accept that I'm probably not diabetic or pre diabetic.  Anyway, the dietician gets a referral for me, and again avoiding exhaustive detail about our telephone tag and the full dialogue of my conversation, she agrees I'm eating and living well yadda yadda, we're still waiting on an appointment with an endocrinologist.

I bring all this up to mention one of the things the dietician mentions to me:  a recent increase in belly fat can lead to high fasting glucose levels and pre diabetes, "Did you gain a lot of belly fat recently?"

Thus, here is my belly:



Yep.  My belly in all it's embarrassing glory.  Definitely fat going on there, but I don't think it's all that recent, sadly.

I know there are a lot of people out there with a lot more belly fat than me.  I know there are a lot of people with a lot less.  Sorry, folks, this is my blog and so it's all about me and my fat belly, not you and yours.

So there is my fat belly.  Rub it for good luck.  I hate that fucking thing.  That belly is part of the reason why I don't sleep with people, go to a beach, or look in full length mirrors.  That belly is laughing at me every time I put on a snug t-shirt, fail to sit up straight, shower, get dressed, climb, or attempt running.  I want the fat belly gone and dead.

You are welcome to consider this a before photo (because in the now 6 weeks of lifting I've been doing that damn thing hasn't changed in the slightest).  I really hope one day I can post up a progress photo that is something more like the bellies of those gorgeous women I linked to some time ago.  Also know that a part of me is burning with shame, throwing this out on a public forum, but another part is burning with intensity and the desire to change this thing.

This is what my lardy 24.4% fat body looks like.  Within the medically "recommended" range which can kiss my fat ass (I have one of those, too) because this is not fighting weight, and I'm not ready to make truce with age and gravity just yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment